Choosing The Best Ring Light For You
A quick online search will tell you that there are millions of ring lights available on the market to choose from. If you have never purchased an LED light before, you might be confused about what ring light you should buy. Not only are there different companies selling ring lights, but there are different sized ring lights, different coloured ring lights, and ring lights made with different materials. It’s enough to give you a headache…
Stress no more! As a trusted provider of ring lights in Australia, we have all the answers about which ring light will suit your needs best, and where you can purchase a quality ring light. Keep reading to learn about the best ring light for your needs.
Are ring lights worth it?
One of the most common questions asked in relation to ring lights is whether they are worth the investment or not. There are a number of people that use ring lights, so if you fall into any of these categories, it is highly likely that a ring light will be of great use to you:
- Photographers: Professional photographers will often use a ring light in portrait photography. The effective lighting tool will help them balance shadows in their image and cover any blemishes that may be present on the subject. It ultimately assists them to create flattering photographs. Some photographers may even get creative when using a ring light, and may position it on unusual angles to create unique shadows or highlights.
- YouTubers: The best vloggers will have consistent lighting throughout their videos, and it will make them look good throughout the length of the film. A ring light can also help a vlogger to understand where they should be looking while filming their vlog. It is always best to focus your eyes directly into the centre of the circular LED light.
- Instagram influencers: Most digital influencers and brand ambassadors rely on a consistent and stunning appearance to make their money online. A ring light helps them to look the same in every image taken, and it ensures that any blemishes on their skin are hidden. Additionally, it helps them to take snaps in any lighting or environment.
- Celebrities: Just like influencers, celebrities always need to look good. An effective ring light can help celebrities to apply their makeup and take good quality selfies for social media.
- Videographers: To enhance the quality of their films, videographers regularly use ring lights. The best LED ring lights can help the actors within the movies look good, and it also makes sure there are no over-blown highlights in any of the scenes.
- Beauticians: The best beauticians will have comprehensive lighting tools to get the possible view of their clients. Ring lights provide excellent and strong lighting, so no blemishes or area of concern will be missed when there is a ring light in use.
- Makeup artists: Similar to beauticians, professional makeup artists require excellent lighting to properly see and address their clients’ faces. An added benefit is that the ring light can be used to take before/after images to help with digital marketing of the makeup business.
- Hair stylists: This may seem like an odd profession to require a ring light, but hair stylists can certainly benefit from having a circular light on hand. A ring light will help illuminate the client’s face and hair, so they can see the work that has been completed and know where more attention is required.
- Beauty hobbyists: You don’t have to be a professional makeup artist or beautician to use a ring light. They are super simple to use and very affordable, so anyone can use them. In fact, you could argue that amateur makeup artists can benefit from a ring light more than anyone else because it will allow them to properly see what they are doing and enhance their skills.
- Event organisers: Most events will either have a roaming photographer or photobooth for guests to enjoy. To ensure there will be memorable and flattering images taken during an event, the event organiser should have a ring light handy. It can easily be installed to the camera being used in the photobooth and it will help guests take stunning images that they are proud of.
Even if you don’t fall into any of the above categories, a ring light may still be useful for you. They are a fantastic and affordable lighting tool to have around the house in case they are ever required. While they aren’t being used for one of their main purposes, they can just be an additional light in your home.
Our answer to the original question of whether a ring light is a worthwhile purchase is yes. As we have mentioned before, there are many reasons why ring lights are so popular in Australia. In a previous blog, we even outlined nine reasons you could benefit from a ring light. We are confident that everyone can benefit from an online ring light, so go ahead and keep reading!
Does ring light size matter?
As you start to browse the big wide world of ring lights, one of the first things you will realise is the vast range of ring lights sizes. Ring lights can range anywhere between 8” and 19”. We consider a small or mini ring light to be around 8”, a medium-sized ring light to be around 12” or 14”, and a large ring light to be 18” or 19”. But, what is the best version for you?
Most professionals who rely on good lighting to make an income will purchase a large ring light, whereas amateurs and hobbyists will start with a mini version. Generally, a larger ring light is going to be more expensive and more effective than its smaller counterparts. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that a large ring light is ideal for you. Depending on your needs, a smaller ring light may suit you better.
Reasons for getting a mini or small ring light include: you will be able to purchase at a cheap ring light price, you will find that it is easy to transport, you can carry it easily because it will be lightweight, you will notice it is easy to use, you will save battery/power, you can fit in a handbag or carry bag, it won’t overwhelm your clients, it is a discrete lighting option.
Reasons for getting a medium ring light include: you can get the best of both worlds, you have the option of upgrading or downgrading in the future, you will have an effective lighting tool, it won’t use as much power/battery as a large ring light, it will still be quite transportable and simple to use, it will fit in your studio or bedroom with ease.
Reasons for getting a large ring light include: it is the most powerful type of ring light, it will enhance the aesthetic of your studio, it will be the most flattering type of ring light, you will appear as a professional to your clients, it will probably be strong enough to hold a camera in the middle of the light, it will be a comprehensive solution for lighting in any environment, you will never need to upgrade it.
Before making a purchase, get a tape measure and imagine having the ring light in your studio or bedroom. If the size you want isn’t going to fit, consider whether the tool can pack down or fit in a wardrobe when not in use. If the financial investment is an issue stopping you from purchasing a ring light, consider buying an Afterpay ring light – you can get your product now, but pay for it later.
If you have never purchased a ring light before, we recommend purchasing a small circular light online, as this can be a cheap ring light option and allow you to get used to the equipment and decide whether you need a larger version. A perfect ring light for beginners would be the Selfie Lamp Ring Light Pro, or the Beauty Mini 8” LED Ring Light.
If this ain’t your first rodeo and you have the budget to run wild, go ahead and purchase a larger ring light. We highly recommend the Beauty Starter 14” LED Ring Light, the Beauty Expert 18” Ring Light, or the Beauty Queen 19” LED Ring Light. There are also more options available in our Australian ring light store. Don’t be shy!
How can I be sure that I am purchasing a good ring light?
There is nothing worse than spending a large sum of money, only to realise that it has been wasted on a poor-quality product. When researching ring lights in Australia, take your time and ensure you aren’t missing any critical details. You might like to initially browse and think about your decision for a week or so. This will give you time to reflect on what you really need and what you can really afford. Here is list of checkpoints that we recommend you go through before making an online ring light purchase.
- Are you purchasing the ring light from a trustworthy ring light company?
If the website or company looks dodgy, it might be best to purchase your ring light elsewhere. Always beware of online scammers and only give your credit card details through secure online portals.
- Is the ring light going to be the perfect size for you?
As we mentioned above, ring light size does matter. If you want a lightweight, transportable, simple, and cheap ring light, consider buying something on the smaller size. If you need your studio to look ultra-professional and you work with clients on a daily basis, it may be worthwhile investing in something larger.
- Does the ring light come with all the functions you require?
There are several cool effects, functions and accessories that come with the best ring lights. Some of these include: dimming light features, colour changing lights, tripod stands, flexible arms, camera holders, power plugs or battery packs, and carry bags. Most of the ring lights in our online ring light store come with a range of features, which is great value for you as a customer. It also ensures you can maximise the use of your ring light and use it to its fullest potential.
- How is the ring light supported, and does this suit your usage?
Tripods are an effective way to support a ring light, and while most ring lights come with a tripod as standard, you may want to check that they definitely do. Even our Beauty Mini 8” Ring Light comes with a miniature ring light stand. If you must buy a tripod separately, this may be a difficult and time-consuming exercise. Alternatively, a smaller ring light may be more suited to a lamp or clip-on support system. Our Selfie Lamp Ring Light Pro is an example of this.
- Does it have LED bulbs?
LED lights are the most powerful and effective bulb types. If you want a safe ring light option that will provide hundreds of usage hours, ensure you purchase an LED ring light.
- Will it ship to you in a reasonable time frame?
Purchasing through an Australian online ring light company will often mean quicker shipping than if you buy from an international company. It also means you are supporting a local ring light business and contributing to the local economy. You will also have a better experience if, for any reason, you need to engage with the customer service team for any support along the way.
If you are interested in purchasing a ring light but need more information, browse our blog and look through the products on our online ring light shop. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed by our range or quality. Happy ring light hunting!